Monday, January 09, 2012

2011 in review: a year of changes

"Most days i wish i was a British pound coin" from the book i am reading . When i read this sentence, i was pondering what i was dreaming about most days. As a professional daydream, i have so many dreams. I wish i don't need to work, i wish i will never get old, i wish i will meet my Mr right, i wish i could travel the world...but mostly i wish i don't need to make choices. However, dreams rarely come true..that was how 2011 started.

If you by chance read my last blog 'my heart is an elephant', in the story, the girl was blocked in a metro station in Paris and went to champs elysees to count down without a clock for the public. Actually that was true, and that happened to me. But different with the story, i was not alone and with two other friends. If the worst thing on new year day means that the year gonna be better, I shouldn't keep complaining that freaky cold night in Paris without fireworks and counting down.

The first week of 2011 was torturing, everything was out of my control and i knew i had no chance to defense before March. Then I booked the tickets to China for Chinese new year. The way back to Wuhan, i didn't feel any excitement just full of disappointment. But 20 days later I came back Marseille with some hopes. I was kinda assured about my defense date and i got two job interviews. Life is filled with ups and downs. We should never be affected by downs, but when you were at downs, it is really difficult to see ups.

After twins and turns, I defensed in March and finally I went ahead of that 3 years. I had fun during that period, but I really need to get out of it. I was really happy. And then i need to decide where to go after. I had three job offers at that moment, but sometime it is not good to have options. As you all know, i end up with belgium. I would never think about if i made another decision. But in March, I even had a list of pros and cons.

Without a thorough plan, I went to tibet in May. I always wanted to go there, but there were always this or that stopping me. Why can we just do something without thinking? The trip was fantastic, and it was far greater than i expected. I spend my birthday there, which was the first time in my life without family and friends. I always said, it is good that a person can still keep saying this is the first time I am doing blahblah..the older you are, the rarer you could say this..isn't it true?

When i got back from the trip, a friend offered me a surprise present to Barcelona's music festival. How could I say no to my favorite city's music festival? I went to Barcelona with my jet-lagged body. I partied like a madwoman for two whole nights. And then the rest of June was about farewell. With the "high school goggles" (from Robin in HIMYM), I was so attached to the people there and the city itself. I won't forget the day when i took the train to belgium, I cried more than half an hour. People on the train must think what was wrong with this crazy chinese girl. So probably not because of high school goggles, I was in love but i just didn't want to admit. By the way, I don't believe love, never ever.

The work is Okay, the city is nice, and the people i met are lovely. The second of 2011, i keep changing myself to get used to belgium style. I am usually a slow person, but this time i must say i adjusted quite efficiently.

I went to berlin, and the first time i missed a flight..not my fault; i went back marseille, and everything was the same but different for me...am i too sentimental; i went to new york..a snow in october..and i lost my jack..time to say goodbye:(

I wish i could have resolutions for the new year...fortunately i don't have any..no danmmit even single one. I am keeping my procrastination, laziness, carelessness, dry sense of humor, and whatever part of me. Why do we need to make changes? Changes happen themselves anyway...as human being..let's just follow the flow.

It is not too late to make a 2011 review, anyway we are still in January. Moreover I am a chinese, chinese new year is coming.

I have no expectation for 2012. No expectation, no disappointment. The simpler, the happier.

1 comment:

Lin said...

just follow the flow. love ya.