Monday, March 31, 2008

Adventure Life in Marseille (3)

Etranger
In Chinese, we have the same words of "In for a penny, in for a pound". So when I saw the seat besides him was empty, "Do you mind I sit next to you?" Maybe he still minded what I told him before about dogshit, "It was just kidding, for sure I have already cleaned my shoes." I hurriedly added. He smiled, and I looked his blue eyes so transparent which seemed that he could rumble me so easily. "Sit down please." He let me go to the inside seat.

I am always attracted by beautiful eyes and voice. Coincidentally, this guy has both of them. He was like sunshine dispersing my mist of bad luck. However, I am not good at in accosting. Even I was thinking how to start a conversation with him thousands of time, I did not dare. Sitting besides him and nothing happened, I took out the book and read it. Since very young I brought a book along with me everywhere. I would not feel bored when I was reading. But at that moment it was the way to let me calm down.

"You like reading. That is nice." The guy talked to me. "What are you reading?" I showed the cover to him. "The art of travel." He read it. "Is it a book about travel? ' "In fact it is not. I bought this book because I supposed it as a book about traveling. But it is about art. Now I almost finish it, and it turns out to tell us how to enjoy the life." "Sounds very interesting. Could you let me thumb?" "Of course...." I protracted "s" and then "Not, because you interrupt my reading." As I was saying this, I passed the book to him.

"So what are you going to do? It is early Sunday morning." I asked. "Not such early, it is already 9:10." Gosh, I can sleep all Sunday morning. He should be one of those legendary industrious men. I put my tongue out. "You do not think so?" He stoped to look over the book and turned his head to me. We talked to each other on the whole trip to Marseille. First we talked about the book and then it was like investigation. I knew that he comes from Poland and is a PhD student in physics. He had been in France 1 month and would stay here for 1 year. He worked in Marseille, but lived in Aix, because he shared an apartment with another Polish friend there.

To my surprise, it took no more than half an hour from Aix to Marseille. But all cities I lived before, after driving two hours, you may still in the same city. "Enchanté, A bientôt!" said him. "What is that?" I do not understand. "Nice to meet you, see you soon." He waved his hand and walked to the door. I was so disappointed to see his leaving. I blamed myself why I did not ask his help, which was indeed needed for a poor Chinese girl without friends and without any knowledge of French.

The same thing happened again as morning. I showed the address to passerby and asked the direction in English. But they either shacked heads or spoke something in French. I was definitely desperate. "Why do you have such a big luggage?" I heard an understandable language behind me and I knew it was that Polish guy. I did not give him any information about me, not because I did not want just because he never asked. "It is a long story. First thing you could do now is to help me find this place." I replied. "How careless I am! When you first speak English to me, I should notice something. By the way you do not understand French completely?" He felt a little bit embarrassed. "No, not at all." "Give me the address." After looking, he pulled my luggage. "It is cool to know three languages. Sometimes two is enough to survive." I talked as I followed him. "You know that, one day a father rat was bringing his little kid to search food on an apartment, and suddenly there was a cat coming after them. The father barked like a dog, so the cat ran away. He talked to his kid "now you know that learning a foreign language is so important to survive". However, what a pity for me to learn the third one."

No comments: